POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question : Re: How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question
From: normdoering
Date: 15 Nov 2002 05:50:05
Message: <web.3dd4d018eff8868284f6eaf50@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <web.3dd31b13eff88682d5c1896a0[at]news.povray.org>,
> "normdoering" <nor### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
>> Be careful, a 720 x 480 picture might crash a small memory system at full
>> resolution.
>
>Huh? That would have to be a really tiny memory system. Storing that in
>memory as 24 bits per pixel, 8 bits per component, would take less than
>1MB of memory. Most systems *display* at 800*600 or above, mine is at
>double that. I can't see that causing problems on any system that is
>used to run POV. As a mesh, it could be considered to be 345,600
>vertices, at 3 float values each, about 4MB with some additional memory
>for other mesh info.

You might want to try it yourself before you guess. There's more getting
stored in memory than the picture. When I did my picture at full resolution
it took over an hour and there were things coming up like "vista buffer,"
"light buffer," etc. I don't quite know what those are.... but those are
spheres I'm using not pixels.

--normdoering